Thursday, June 24, 2010

Week 9

So we are officially more than halfway through the transfer and I really can't believe that it is going by so quickly. This last week was so long but so short at the same time. I was pretty frustrated at the fact that we have been working so hard but our numbers aren't really showing it. I will explain...
Monday we had a really lame activity. We went to the church and played volleyball. I think the best part was that Sister Silva went to go hit the ball and she decided to kick it for some odd reason and it totally came up and smacked Elder Hammer in the face. It made his eyes tear up and left a huge red welt on his face for like 2 days. Super funny, but we all felt bad for him. We had a really awkward dinner with a newly wed couple that night and we were in and out of the house in excatly one hour. It was weird.
Tuesday we had a zone meeting which usually wouldn't have happened because we were going to have zone conference on friday, but we were all told to bring our testimonies written down and then we had to put them in a BOM and go give them out within an hour. Tuesday was Elder Lincoln's birthday so I made him a cake the night before and we all sang to him and stuff it was pretty great becuase his smile was sooo big. We went to lunch and then we went to go visit some P.I.'s and to track down a referral that we got. Okay so here is some advise...please do not send referrals to the MTC without telling the potential investigator that you are going to send the missionaries to their home. It is super awkward when they don't know why we are there and why we know their names and they don't know who would have sent the missionaries. This is excatly what happened to us. The referral was for a younger boy and his Mom was all "Why don't you use your time more wisely and go preach to people who haven't been saved." It was irritating. Anyway so later that night we had a lesson with Tammy and we are starting to really see some progress with her. We taught her about prophets and she was really intrigued with the thought that there was a prophet today on the earth. She wasn't doing so well with the whole not smoking thing so we asked her for any cigarettes that she had and of course she said she didn't have any, and we knew she was lying but we left becuase we had a Relief Society activity to go to. Dad there is a Phillipino family in the ward and she makes Lumpia. Don't know if that is how you spell it but that stuff is SOOO good! Sister De Jesus made some for the activity and we are going over there tonight so I am crossing my fingers that she will make some more! YUM! We had exchanges on Wednesday so we went home so I could get my stuff together for that.
Wednesday was interesting. Sister Carlson and I made some really good plans the night before and we were out all day! We met up with a guy that was in the area book and we had a really good talk with him and invited him to take the lessons. He said YES!! Sister Carlson was stoked because we were in her area and they have been aching for someone to teach! After that we went tracting and visited some less actives. We had dinner with a member and that was REALLY awkward because sister Carlson is really shy and she didn't say a word the whole time we were there! I was having to make all of the conversation and this family is not even in my ward. Like she could have asked them questions about how their missionary experiances are coming along but no, not one word out of her mouth. That dinner was a new record for time because we were in and out in 45 min!! After dinner we went and did something else that I can't remember because yet again I am without my planner. We got back to my apartment at like 9 and when we walked in Sister Lytle was in her pajamas. Which is weird becuase we aren't supposed to change our clothes until after we have planned. So I started asking her what they did that day and turns out that they went to go visit Tammy and got sick from the insence that she had burning. So they came home at around 12 and Sister Silva was feeling better within an hour but I guess Sister Lytle was sleeping and such until like 7:30. I was kinda frustrated because Silva wanted to go out and work and Lytle pretty much was just using excuses to stay in. Numbers were really bad for us that day. Carlson and Lytles were really good though. Sister Silva did get Tammy's cigarettes from her though!! I was SO glad, even though she lied to us!
Thursday I was feeling badly because yet again I am a failure and didn't get something in the mail for Paul. But we had a busy and very hot day! We had a lot of people that we needed to visit and we tried really hard to get some tracting done but it was just so hot outside that it was really difficult. We ended up visiting with Sister Rivera and officially inviting her husband to take the lessons. He said no, and we asked him why. He said that he just didn't want to and that he really didn't want to come to church either. LAMENESS!!! We are going to keep trying with him. We had a lesson with Tammy and it went really well. She told us that it was the first day that she went all day without really thinking about the fact that she hadn't smoked all day. We were so glad that our prayers for her are getting answered and that she is doing really well! We had dinner with Mollie and her kids that night. I just love going over there. We had a good little lesson about faith and then we had to leave because we needed to get to another lesson....that fell through. We OYMed people in the parking lot and then went to visit a guy named Desmond that lived there who we had an appointment with but he didn't show up to. I guess I really scared him because he thought that we were the cops by the way that I had knocked on the door. OOPS:) It got him to open the door though and we set up another appointment for later tonight:)
Friday was zone conference and it was AMAZING! We hosted it and had to sing a musical number that was pretty bad. Elder Hammer can play the piano pretty well and made up a song for Isreal, Isreal God is Calling and when we were parcticing Elder Hessing was like ..."Sister Perren you need to sing the third verse as a solo!" I knocked that suggestion down pretty quickly but I couldn't get out of not singing somehow so it turned into a duet. So we were all singing and such and the Elders were singing the first verse and they all stopped singing at one point because they forgot the words even though they all had books in front of them. I couldn't help but giggle, but the rest went ok I guess. We had the opportunity to practice teach later after lunch with investigators and recent converts. It was a really cool experience. We had a lady named Gayle that wanted to be a Catholic, Mormon. Sister Silva and I taught a really good lesson about the BOM and got her to kneel and pray with us:) She even said the prayer! That was really neat. After conference we had a blessing scheduled for Tammy and that was pretty neat too. She was really impressed with what the Brothers said in the blessing. She said..."how did they know to say all that stuff?" It was a perfect opportunity to teach her about how much her Heavenly Father really loves her. We had dinner that night with sister French. It was after dinner that Sister Silva forced me to call the nurse. I really didn't want to but Silva was worried about me and I guess that really the only good thing coming out of this is that the nurse called president and she told him that I shouldn't be wearing nylons ever. So no more nylons for me:) I am supposed to call and make and appointment to go see the doctor later this week and hopefully we can get this fixed. I am really, really sorry about it all. I really wish this stuff didn't happen to me. But in a way it has been an answer to prayers becuase I have been praying that it will either go away or that I will figure out a way to take care of it.
I don't have a lot of time so I am skipping Saturday which is pretty boring anyway it was just weekly planning, and moving onto Sunday. FANTASTIC DAY!! We were kicked out of our meetings early so we had some time to go tracting before church and we were sucessful! All day sunday was great we got 3 numbers for us to come back and visit and then later we went to go tracting after dinner and we ran into the Williams family! We asked Lena to take the lessons and she said YES!!! Answer to prayers!!! We have been trying so long to get in to teach her and we are finally going to be able too!! So many good things happened this week but our numbers really stunk! It's okay though we will do better this week!
So I am going to try really hard to get a letter in the mail for you Mom. Things have just been crazy lately and I have had no time to write. Thanks for the letters, I freaked out a little about Dad, but I guess if he is feeling better I won't worry so much. Dad thanks for the letter and for telling me about Brett! I am so HAPPY!!! I am looking forward to this week and I am out of time so I love you all so much and I am so grateful for your love and prayers!! Thank you!! I just love you all a lot! Do something to share the gospel this week!
Love-
Heidi

No comments: